Great Explorations is acutely aware of the fragility of our natural environment and committed in all of its operations to minimizing impacts and in donating in ways that will help. Here are some of the initiatives we have taken:
- Employees either bicycle or walk to the office (employees receive a free bike to use).
- Employees are committed to re-cycling and using re-cycled products where possible.
- Our office space was modified to allow for increased natural light and fresh air so that use of electricity and air conditioning are minimized.
- In choosing suppliers for our office operations, we have chosen companies who demonstrate a commitment to the environment. Examples: Novex Couriers, Mountain Equipment Co-op, Hemlock Printing and others.
- In the regions in which we operate trips, we have looked for ‘good environmental practices’ as criteria in selecting hotels and suppliers.
- We use ‘leave no trace’ practices on our trips- meaning we leave the environment as we found it. Our guides are trained to encourage participants on our trips to follow these same guidelines.
- Our group sizes are kept small to ensure that our interaction with locals can be on a personal level- we feel this is important in making business sustainable.
- We have created cycling events that raise awareness and funding for trails in British Columbia – we have donated in excess of $10,000 to trails in BC; these trails include the Sea to Sky (through the Sea to Sky Trail Society), Sunshine Coast (through S.C.U.M.B. and others) and Kettle Valley Trail (Trans-Canada Trail). In everything we do and in all of our communications, we promote travel by bicycle and on foot.
- We donate trips to charities to help raise funds, typically through silent auctions at events they hold. Charities that we have supported include Kidsafe, Aim High, Lake of the Woods Hospital Foundation, and numerous other charities. If you have traveled with Great Explorations in the past and are affiliated with a charity auction that you feel would benefit from a trip donation, please contact us.